1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Mama May i: Mama May I Book A Day Countdown to Christmas Day 8

Mama May I Book A Day Countdown to Christmas Day 8






Day 8
Sensing the Season




The Sweet Smell of Christmas

This was one of my absolute favorite books as a child because there are scratch and sniff stickers inside. My book had been so scratched that most smells weren't very smelly so I purchased a new copy but it is still a family favorite!

Sensory Art Project
Smelly Paint Candy Canes

Supplies:

We have done this project several ways and have enjoyed two the best: 

1. Experiment with different brush thickness for the lines on the candy canes

2. Use tape to make the candy cane stripes then paint on top however you would like. 
Let dry for a little while and then remove the tape 
(this is where the Tyvek envelopes come in handy...the tape comes off much more easily from this texture than regular construction paper or cardstock.)






Chocolate Play Dough

Play dough is a go-to in our house since I was a child! I remember helping my Mom cook batches of it on the stove - my favorite part was color-mixing! I no longer cook mine on the stove, but it is still very much a staple in our home. The kids love helping do the Kitchen Science of making it and I love how occupied it keeps our 2-year old! He loooooooves play dough (and sometimes he likes to eat it, but when I make my own I don't have to worry because I know what goes into it!)

Recipe
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp almond oil
2 Tbsp cream of tartar
0.5oz liquid glycerine
2 cups boiling water

(If it feels too sticky after stirring, add a little more flour...if it's too grainy, add a little more boiling water....until the consistency is just right.)

I use this recipe (minus the cocoa powder) for just about every batch of play dough we make! You can experiment with different flavored oils or essential oil. Maybe try peppermint? or Almond? or vanilla? Orange? .... our favorite essential oil to add is Lavender (it's the perfect pre-bed activity!)








 Kitchen Science
Melted Mint Ornaments





I have seen a version of mint-melting using candy canes I would like to try with my 7 year old.
Here is the Artful Parent post about how to
 Candy Cane Bending



Fine Motor Play
Candy Cane Ornaments

Supplies:


To add some extra skill into this project create a few candy canes in different patterns:

Red, White, Red, White, Red, White
Red, Red, White, Red, Red, White
White, White, Red, Red, White, White, Red Red

and ask your little one to try to create the same PATTERN on his/her candy cane.





The Gift of Nothing


Writing Practice

I remember this poem from when I was a child but I do not know what the source is (if anyone knows, please let me know!) I think this would make such a sweet present from a little one to a grandparent or loved one.

This is a very special gift
that you can never see.
The reason it's so special is
it's just for you, from me.
Whenever you are lonely,
or even feeling blue,
you only have to hold this box
to know I think of you.
You never can unwrap it.
Please leave the ribbon tied.
Just hold this box close to your heart...
it's filled with Love inside!



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,